Sunday 5 January 2014

Hello 2014!


Happy Days: New Year's Day walking with the family at
Burghead beach, Scotland
New Year is always a time for taking stock of the year gone by and looking ahead to the year to come; setting goals, making plans, new years resolutions. Well, I pre-empted the new year's resolutions a little this time, beginning my 'reboot' back in August 2013

That's when I decided to get back in to fitness, set myself some goals and start really living my life to it's fullest. It's also when I started this blog, as a means of accountability and, I hoped, a place for others on a similar journey to come and see, share and enjoy.

Just 5 months on and a lot has changed! Reading back over my previous blog posts I realise how far I've come, how many new things I've tried, what new feats I've achieved (my first half marathon a definite highlight!) and how many new friends I've made through blogging, running and tweeting. Thanks to the things that the latter half of 2013 brought I'm heading in to 2014 - and towards the big 3-0! - with a smile on my face, a strong mind, a warm heart and looking forward to plenty of new challenges ahead.

Runners, bloggers & friends connected
through a love of post-run cake!
New friends should always have great jazz hands...


The biggest challenge ahead, without a doubt, is running my first full marathon: London, April 13th 2014. Training began at the start of December and, in spite of a minor knee-pain wobble, has been going well. Over the next 3 months I'll be posting a weekly training update as I count down to the big one. This will also tie in with my record of runs for the Jantastic running challenge, which kicks off tomorrow - so if you want to join in get signed up quick!

One of the aims I set in August 2013 was to do a triathlon before I hit 30. My swimming and cycling has definitely taken a bit of a back seat to marathon training, but I've bitten the bullet and signed up for a super-sprint distance triathlon in May!! 

Another first in 2014 will be my first 24-hour race experience - the Adidas Thunder Run at the end of July. Along with four other amazing running-blogging ladies in the relay team, we will be tackling 24 hours of trail running come rain or shine, light or dark. I'm really excited about this one: head torches at the ready!!

There are many more races and challenges already in the diary, and more sure to come as the year moves along. As things stand, 2014 is shaping up to be a vintage fit year for this city girl....

What goals have you set for the new year? Are you running a marathon this spring? I'd love to hear how training is going - drop me a message below or come say hi on twitter :)

Happy New Year - hope it's a good one!

Katy | City Girl Fit

No comments:

Post a Comment